Budd Brown fought the Korean War with a sax in his hand

Budd Brown of Port Charlotte, Fla. fought the Korean War with a saxophone in his hand. He serve as a member of the 2nd Platoon, 10th Special Services Company, 8th Army from January 1952 until February 1953.

“We had a 30-man unit that included a big band, a couple of singers and a couple of comedians—an all-male show. When we got to Korea, our unit was sent up to the 40th Division along the Demilitarized Zone,” he recalled. “There were nine Army divisions in Korea and we did two or three shows a day. We stayed with each division for a month.

When they opened their first routine in January, the group was flying by the seat of its pants. However, when their second show opened in May, they had rehearsed and polished their routine.

“The guys sang, the guys danced, the guys told some jokes and the band played music. Stuff like Glenn Miller’s ‘String of Pearls’ and Goodman’s ’Don’t Be That Way,’” he said. “We called the band ‘Road to Ruin’ because when the guys got five days leave and went to Tokyo for a little R & R, they came back to the front with all kinds of diseases and problems.”

When he wasn’t playing sax in the band, Brown and his buddy, Harry Fallon of Jersey City, N.J., who now lives in Lakeland, would come on stage and do a two-man stand-up comedy routine. Wearing yellow and green zoot suits with purple hats accented by yellow hat bands the two 20-year-olds did their thing.

“We did a show for a MASH unit one day. A helicopter flew in with a soldier who was all shot up,” Brown said. “They cut off his leg and had him bandaged up and sitting in he front row in a wheelchair for our second show. We tried to make him laugh, but couldn’t.”

Despite the fact he and the men of the 2nd Platoon were musicians and entertainers, they had their problems with enemy forces at the front from time to time.

“At Sokcho Ri in Smoke Valley, it was an 8-mile-long valley with mountains on both sides and a single dirt road down the center. Our heavy artillery was up and down the valley shooting at the North Koreans.

“We drove in to do two shows aboard eight trucks. As we were on our way out aboard the trucks, the smoke lifted in the valley and a North Korean artillery spotter saw us. Moments later the enemy started shooting at us,” he said.

“We had to jump off the trucks and find the lowest spot to hide until the incoming fire stopped. They didn’t hit us, but they came pretty close. We did that three times before we got out of the valley.

That was my big combat story,” Brown said.

Then there was the time their unit flew into Cheju Island at the south tip of South Korea aboard a C-47 transport plane. This was the island where the United Nations forces kept 55,000 North Korean and Chinese POWs.

“The day we arrived, the prisoners captured the commanding American general of the POW camp on the island. The prisoners complained their food was bad and the general and a couple of guards walked into a stockade with thousands of enemy POWs and were immediately taken prisoner themselves,” he said.

“Then the POWs started making demands. They wanted to be released immediately and returned to North Korea. A bunch of the 2nd Division combat veterans were sent to encircle the POW stockade. Every third or fourth American soldier had a BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) and the rest had M-1 rifles. Up on the hill around the compound we also had quad 50-caliber machine-guns trained down on the enemy prisoners,” Brown said.

“The POWs were told after they were encircled by American forces with a lot of fire power, ‘We want the general back immediately, or we’re just going to blow the hell out of you.’ They released him immediately,’ Brown said.

“I figured when I got out of the service I’d get a job with a big band and that’s what I’d do the rest of my life. But when I got out television was coming of age and big bands were out.”

Budd is still playing music. He plays every Wednesday night at the Holiday Inn in Punta Gorda with Tim Goodman.

This story was first published in the Charlotte Sun newspaper, Port Charlotte, Fla. on Monday, Sept. 8, 2003 and is republished with permission.

Click here to view the collections in alphabetical order in the Library of Congress. This veteran’s story will not be included in  the Library of Congress as it was conducted long before Don started submitting stories to the Veterans History Project.

Click here to view the War Tales fan page on FaceBook.

Click here to search Veterans Records and to obtain information on retrieving lost commendations.

All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be republished without permission. Links are encouraged.


  1. My Dad played trombone and stand up bass with the 10th S.S. in Korea. Not sure which platoon he was in. Virgil Sauls is his name. I would love to hear from anyone who served with him.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s